Wednesday, September 14, 2011

A winning week.

My gorgeous wee Miss 4 came home from kindy earlier in the week bursting with pride that she had made this all by herself! I think it's absolutely adorable and a pretty good first effort don't you think? She cracks me up though as she refers to anything crafty as 'knitting'. Anytime I have my crochet hooks out, she wants to help with my 'knitting'. And so it was with her kindy sewing - she corrected me and told me it was again 'knitting'!! Who am I to argue with the mind of a four year old?

I had some lovely news this week - I was the lucky winner of Pixie's 'slightly wonky if not a bit odd Dickie bird' giveaway!! Thank you so very much Pixie - your lovely wee bird will be right at home here amongst my other slightly wonky and odd things!

I haven't achieved very much in the way of crochet this week, but now that I'm starting to feel a bit better I will get back into the swing of things! My granny blanket is progressing slowly but surely. Each week I look at it and think I'm done but somehow I then change my mind and convince myself to do just another few rounds! So each week I take a picture, but because I'm using the same rotation of colours, it looks exactly like the previous week so I don't bother popping a pic on my post. I will wait until it's complete which shouldn't be too far away hopefully. So to keep me inspired and motivated to move on to the next project, I treated myself to some gorgeous wool this morning. I am planning on making a bed cover using an African flower motif and I am bursting to get it started. This Ashford Tekapo wool is a delight to work with - I've used it quite a bit before. I really have to finish the granny blanket first or it will linger in my basket forever. I am definitely not the most patient person in the world so this will drive me crazy!!! The African flower blanket is to replace the hexagon one I started. I will have another go at it in the future but I just couldn't get excited about it at the time.

I had a fabulous op shop find on Saturday which has completed my little mix and match set. I started with this fabulous teapot (which had no lid for some reason). It belonged to my Nana and I had always loved it. About a year after my lovely Nana died I managed to find a lid for sale on Trade Me which was the perfect partner to my teapot. Then I found the cup in an op shop about two years ago which I used quite happily on its own. But a quick pop in to my local op shop at the weekend completed my wee set. Sitting alone on the shelf for all of $1 was the saucer I needed! Well worth the wait!!!

We had the most crazy hail storm yesterday - completely out of the blue. With it was spectacular thunder and lightning, according to the newspaper we had 581 lightning strikes! The hail was so dense that our property was absolutely white in some parts - more so than when we had the freak snow storm last month! Here is a shot of our front garden/garage - it was so beautiful but so flippin' slippery. It happened about half an hour before school pick up so you can imagine the fun we had walking home. When we got home, all Mr 6 wanted to do was eat it - so instead of being the spoil sport I usually am - I said go for it. Just eat the white stuff on the top. If you get to the brown bits - stop! You really don't need to eat dirt for dinner. He then decided to collect it in bowls and try and sell it to passers-by! Strangely enough he had no takers.

I love this picture of Miss 4 in her very pretty Spring time dress and gumboots!!

It was the perfect afternoon to come home, light the fire, get cosy and do some baking. I kinda made up this recipe and it actually worked out. Anything with chocolate icing has to be good really. The kids loved them.

And just because everyone is Rugby World Cup mad here at the moment, we iced some biscuits with what is meant to be the Silver Fern and Rugby Balls. Again, the kids thought they were fabulous so that's all that matters! As a grown up - black icing doesn't seem so appealing.

I am still in catch up mode with visiting all my favourite blogs but am slowly getting back into my routine. Can't wait to see what everyone has been up to. I hope you're all having a wonderful week. Take care and see you again soon.

Leah
xxxx

13 comments:

  1. Aaaawwww,your little girls sewing is so sweet,she's going to be a crafter like her mummy. What a great find with the saucer,love the set,it looks like Cornish wear.
    Your yarn looks very pretty,I look forward to seeing you start your AF. Deb xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww your little girls sewing is soo precious!! :D How sweet!
    I love the stripey teapot, cup and saucer, great finds!
    Allie xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's adorable about your daughter and her "knitting"!
    Love the biscuits!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your daughters creation, is simply lovely.Hold onto it for many years, as they soon grow up.
    Best Wishes,
    Gael.xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. How satisfying and exciting it must have felt to find the matching pieces of china - i love the blue and white stripes.
    Made me laugh reading about the hail especially the "stop when you get to the brown bits"!!!
    Lovely post Leah, have enjoyed catching up with you!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tee hee!
    Such a funny post!
    Love your little'un's 'knitting' picture- so sweet!
    And I laughed at you telling Mr 6 he could eat the hail, but not the brown stuff!!!!
    That's such good advice to tell your kids!

    Shame we live on opposite sides of the planet - I reckon our kids would have a laugh and we could sit, natter, crochet and eat your lush biscuits together!

    Much love Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi

    I have just stumbled across your lovely blog!
    I love the green yard, beautiful colour.
    Isabelle x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've just found your lovely blog via Coco Rose and quickly scanned down your last post and thought they were tarantulas in the 4th photo! Luckily I'm off to pick up my new computer glasses tomorrow :) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. One small 'dickie bird' left over the horizon this morning for its very long flight with sandwiches packed and a map under its wing....i hope he makes it to you ok..
    Pixie x

    ps love the black icing, i may have to give that a go.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I would like to let you know that there is a link party on my crochet blog every fridaynight and Saturday. I would love it if you’d add something you made. Have a lovely day!
    Annemarie
    www.annemarieshaakblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is completely bonkers that you found a tea pot lid for sale and that it fitted your teapot perfectly. What were the chances! Must has been fate.

    I'd love a skirt like Miss 4. If only!

    Loving the "knitting". It would look fab framed.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your daughter's sweet "knitting" project. Absolutely adorable! Since we started back to school 2 weeks ago, I'm way behind -- no crocheting has been going on and I haven't been cleaning, so I am trying to get into a routine. I said I would do something for an hour every day and 4 hours later, here I am finally sitting down. Ugh! We've had lightning hail storms here before too. Can't believe how much you had on the ground. Wow! Good luck getting your granny ghan done. I have so many unfinished projects that I can't seem to pick back up. :/ Hope you have a great week. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous hon, the "knitting" is so cute! Lucky you winning the giveaway - very cool! Fabulous finding the tea pot lid!!
    xxx K

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and leaving a comment! Have a fab day.